Your writing portfolio is a vital instrument in your advertising and marketing arsenal.
In spite of everything, it’s the very first thing a possible shopper will need to see. And a kick-butt author portfolio can do a lot of the promoting for you.
As a contract author, you recognize this, however the place do you begin?
Effectively, there are three issues it is advisable to know to create a web based writing portfolio that wins shoppers:
- What on-line portfolio websites will showcase your writing samples?
- Ideas for a writing portfolio printed by yourself web site.
- Concepts for constructing a catalog of artistic writing samples.
Let me stroll you thru these. Prepared?
8 Portfolio Websites to Showcase Your Writing Samples
Digital portfolio websites let you create enticing and professional-looking portfolios whereas dealing with the expertise and design considerations for you.
Utilizing these websites on your freelance writing portfolio frees you to concentrate on creating extra samples. That is particularly essential for newbies.
As a bonus, two of those websites might even assist you to discover writing jobs.
Creating your on-line writing portfolio with Clippings.me is quick and straightforward. Through the account setup course of, you may even hook up with your Twitter account to import your bio and avatar.
You’ll be able to customise the appear and feel of your portfolio by selecting one of many supplied theme photos or through the use of your personal image. Your skilled writing portfolio will present your identify, title, bio, and can show as much as 10 clips (free model).
Right here’s one of many writing portfolio examples from Clippings.me:
Professionals of Clippings.me
- A straightforward and fast option to exhibit your freelance portfolio items. Paste within the URL of your clip, and the date, publication, title, and picture populate mechanically.
- Help guarantees to reply most questions inside 24 hours.
- You’ll be able to showcase your portfolio of their journalist listing.
Cons of Clippings.me
- The free model is restricted to 10 articles.
- A spam-protected contact type is barely accessible as a premium member. (The location warns towards spam for those who present your electronic mail in your bio.)
Price of Clippings.me
- Free for as much as 10 articles. The premium bundle prices $9.99/month. Included options are limitless samples, customized area identify, portfolio privateness (spam-protected contact type), and Google Analytics integration to measure views.
Clippings.me is a strong choice for freelancers with lower than 10 samples.
Pressfolios states that it’s “the best manner for journalists, writers, reporters, bloggers, public relations and different media professionals to backup their information tales, design an attractive on-line portfolio web site, and showcase their private model — no coding required.”
There isn’t a free model, however there’s a 14-day trial.
Professionals of Pressfolios
- A clear web page design containing three sections — a header, tales (your writing initiatives), and an About part.
- You’ll be able to arrange your tales by part (aka area of interest).
- Full-text backup of your tales (as a part of the paid service).
Cons of Pressfolios
- Free for a 14-day trial solely.
- You’ll be able to solely add PDFs with the Professional model at $14.99/month.
Price of Pressfolios
- 14-day free trial. The Lite model prices $9.99/month for as much as 250 tales. The Professional model is $14.99/month and contains limitless tales, privateness choices, customized area identify, and means that you can add PDFs.
This selection is greatest for journalists and reporters because the idea of “tales” might not suit your writing area of interest, particularly for those who’re a copywriter.
3. Journo Portfolio
Journo Portfolio offers a formidable quantity of choices to design your writing portfolio. They boast of “a whole lot of the way to customise your on-line portfolio.” A number of themes, background photographs, colours, and fonts can be found to select from.
The location means that you can show a bio, social media hyperlinks, PDFs, or any sort of multimedia file. You can too publish articles instantly on the location.
Professionals of Journo Portfolio
- Including samples is straightforward —enter the URL and Journo Portfolio will autofill the date, publication, title, and picture.
- You’ll be able to have a number of pages in your portfolio, together with Contact and About pages.
- You’ll be able to kind samples into completely different niches both through the use of content material blocks or by placing them on separate pages.
Cons of Journo Portfolio
- The variety of customization choices might be overwhelming.
- Your portfolio isn’t password-protected until you choose the Professional model.
Price of Journo Portfolio
- The free model permits as much as 10 articles. The Plus model is $5/month for limitless pages and articles. The Professional model is $10/month and contains your customized area identify, article backups, a password-protected portfolio, and an HTTPS certificates.
The Professional model of Journo Portfolio is the closest factor to having your personal WordPress web site with out worrying about webhosting, safety, or backup.
Contently calls itself, “The whole content material advertising and marketing answer.” Not solely is it a web based portfolio website for writers, but it surely’s additionally a web based content material company.
Contently offers a single-page interface the place you may show limitless initiatives. You’ll be able to show your image, bio, hyperlinks to social profiles, expertise, niches, and even the URL of your author web site (when you have one).
Professionals of Contently
- No restrict on the initiatives you may add.
- A charges database that means that you can see what shoppers are paying for varied initiatives (info is uploaded by freelancers who work for the platform).
- The potential for writing work. It’s an lively market with affordable pay, and shoppers embrace bigger corporations corresponding to Google, Dell, and Walmart.
Cons of Contently
- You want a minimum of 7 initiatives to be thought-about for model work.
- LOTS of competitors on the platform, so it is going to take time to be “found” for freelance writing gigs.
Price of Contently
When you arrange your profile, you should have a professional-looking and free author’s portfolio. Plus, you have got the potential for writing gigs sooner or later.
Quiet.ly is a web based content material advertising and marketing company that means that you can create a profile doubtlessly resulting in writing gigs.
Professionals of Quiet.ly
- Potential for writing job leads.
- Energetic market with shoppers corresponding to Adobe, Slack, and Dell listed.
Cons of Quiet.ly
- No assure that you may be matched with a possible employer. It is dependent upon your expertise, area of interest, and the companies trying to find potential freelancers.
- You’ll be in direct competitors with different freelancers.
Price of Quiet.ly
Fill out your profile intimately, add related writing samples, and the Quiet.ly editors may match you with a potential shopper who matches your pursuits and talent set.
Notice: The choice to create a public portfolio isn’t presently accessible. Except you have got very particular portfolio necessities, you must in all probability look elsewhere to fulfill your writing portfolio wants.
Your LinkedIn profile is your freelance writing on-line resume. A hyperlink to your profile is commonly requested by potential shoppers (particularly bigger corporations).
LinkedIn isn’t designed to be a writing portfolio, however you need to use it as one.
Spotlight your greatest samples by inserting them in your Abstract part, utilizing the Add File or Add Hyperlink choices.
You should use the Expertise part to listing shoppers and supply hyperlinks to the writing work you’ve completed for them.
Professionals of LinkedIn
- LinkedIn builds your visibility on-line. Greater than 30 million corporations are on LinkedIn, and firms run searches to search for freelance writers whose expertise and pursuits match their wants.
- You join with individuals at corporations you have an interest in writing for and construct relationships with them.
- You should use LinkedIn Writer to publish (or repost) your work to show your writing expertise in a selected area of interest, and maybe seize the eye of these in your community.
Cons of LinkedIn
- With LinkedIn, you don’t personal your profile. You possibly can lose all of the work you set into constructing your connections in case your account was blocked or banned.
- You want a distinct segment prominently acknowledged in your profile to assist corporations discover you, or it is going to be onerous to face out.
Price of LinkedIn
- It’s free to arrange a profile.
Creating an attractive LinkedIn profile is a wonderful option to join with each prospects and shoppers, in addition to different freelance writers.
Pinterest is a visible discovery engine. To design a writing portfolio, you’ll need to create a Pinterest enterprise account full with bio and knowledgeable image.
To make use of Pinterest, you first create or supply photographs to characterize your posts. Then use these photographs to create “pins,” which hyperlink to your weblog publish and may embrace your headline, creator identify, and publish description.
These pins will be organized on boards, which act as containers for teams of pins. Utilizing the suitable key phrases or keyphrases is crucial if you would like your pins or boards to be found.
Professionals of Pinterest
- It’s one other option to broaden your on-line presence (and assist potential shoppers discover you), and it’s free.
- You’ll be able to create boards for every area of interest or key phrase to make it simpler for bloggers and different enterprise homeowners to seek out you.
- A enjoyable type of advertising and marketing for those who get pleasure from creating or sourcing photographs.
Cons of Pinterest
- It’s not related for all niches. Have a look at fashionable boards to substantiate whether or not or not your area of interest does nicely on Pinterest earlier than you start.
- Creating and/or discovering photographs is your complete level of this platform, so if that doesn’t enchantment to you, it’s possible you’ll need to cross.
Price of Pinterest
- Free to make use of.
Making a writing portfolio utilizing Pinterest will be enjoyable for those who get pleasure from working with photographs. At a minimal, allow the “Pin It” button for photographs in your author web site so your posts will be shared on Pinterest.
8. Muck Rack
Muck Rack is a PR software program platform designed for journalists and PR professionals. The platform is open to any author; nonetheless, solely verified journalists get a inexperienced badge to indicate that they meet Muck Rack’s standards.
This platform is devoted to the career of journalism. Since it’s built-in with Twitter, it tracks what journalists are Tweeting about.
Professionals of Muck Rack
- Mechanically compiles articles and social media profiles, making setup simple.
- It offers full-text backups on your writing portfolio.
- You’ll be able to observe the influence of your work through the use of the “Who Shared My Hyperlink” instrument to see social shares on your article, and the journalist who shared it.
Cons of Muck Rack
- Designed primarily for journalists.
- You’ll be signing as much as obtain PR pitches (though you may edit this within the settings).
Price of Muck Rack
- Free for journalists.
It is a incredible choice for journalists. A good thing about utilizing this website as a freelancer is you may join after which use the platform to seek out journalists to interview on your articles.
12 Ideas for Portfolio Pages Hosted on Your Personal Author Web site
The writing portfolio websites we simply mentioned can get you began, however ultimately, you’ll need to create your personal author web site.
As a result of with portfolio websites, you’re solely a renter, not an proprietor. Insurance policies and pricing can change in a single day. A great state of affairs is to make use of these websites as well as to a author web site, which you personal and management.
So how do you optimize a writing portfolio hosted by yourself web site? Observe these 12 suggestions:
1. Know Your Goal Consumer and Desired Area of interest(s)
Choose your writing portfolio samples together with your ideally suited shopper and area of interest(s) in thoughts. Select related samples that might enchantment to potential shoppers and are in niches that you just need to write in.
In case your ideally suited shopper loves stuffy educational writing, embrace it! However do your homework, although.
As a result of it’d be ineffective to showcase a reflective essay about field and whisker plots in case your shopper is wanting online game writing samples.
Additionally, for those who embrace testimonials in your writing portfolio, make sure they arrive from respected sources who characterize your ideally suited goal.
2. Restrict Your Freelance Writing Portfolio Samples
Keep away from overwhelming potential shoppers with too many selections. Present sufficient samples to reveal your writing capacity and to provide a choice of choices, as much as three per area of interest. That is your writing portfolio, not a weblog, proper?
3. Select High quality Over Amount
Embody solely your greatest work, not each instance of your work. Solely showcase your greatest testimonials, not each attaboy or kudos you’ve ever acquired. And the identical is true for awards and accolades — do embrace respected writing contests you’ve gained, however don’t go overboard.
4. Verify That Your Writing Portfolio (And Web site) Is Simple To Navigate
Make it tremendous easy to seek out the whole lot. To check this, ask a buddy to open your web site, after which discover one particular piece of knowledge in your portfolio web page. Make any needed adjustments based mostly on their suggestions.
5. Manage Samples By Kind, By Area of interest, and Use Clear Descriptions
Make it simple to seek out samples by organizing them by sort (posts, white papers, touchdown web page copy, and so forth.) and by area of interest. Additionally, present temporary descriptions of your samples (and put in your copywriter hat the place attainable). For ghostwritten clips that lack your byline, add “ghostwritten” within the description to stop confusion.
6. Preserve Your Writing Portfolio Design Clear and Easy
Preserve your design uncluttered, with no distractions, so your samples stand out. Use clear, easy-to-read fonts a minimum of 14pt in measurement.
7. Don’t Show Whole Articles on Your Portfolio Web page
As a substitute, present hyperlinks to the samples, and have the samples open in their very own distraction-free pages.
8. Use Thumbnail Photographs For Every Writing Pattern
Textual content-only hyperlinks are okay however aren’t as compelling as photographs. Photographs assist your samples visually pop on the web page.
9. Use Plug-ins or Web page Builders to Assist You Design
These tech instruments assist you to design a professional-looking portfolio. Nonetheless, prior to installing a plug-in or web page builder, affirm it has been not too long ago up to date. Additionally, examine that it’s suitable with each the newest model of WordPress and your theme.
For instance, the web page builder Elementor (affiliate hyperlink) has an Picture Field widget with spectacular capabilities (and it’s free!).
10. Verify It On Cellular And Tablets
Your writing portfolio might look lovely in your desktop, however all the time double-check the way it seems to be on tablets and telephones. Verify that textual content and pictures don’t get cut-off or distorted.
11. Preserve Your Writing Portfolio Recent and Up-to-Date
Verify your hyperlinks typically, a minimum of as soon as a month. Additionally, exchange older samples as you create new and improved ones — Google loves and rewards recent content material in your web site.
12. Have a Clear Name-to-Motion (CTA) On Your Portfolio Web page
The entire goal of your writing portfolio is to encourage potential shoppers to contact you. Make that subsequent step simple. Both show your electronic mail deal with or a clickable button resulting in a “Contact me” web page.
Methods to Construct Writing Samples for Your Freelance Writing Portfolio
What for those who full the steps above, and your writing portfolio seems to be a bit, nicely, sparse? Resolution: Construct a listing of sturdy writing samples.
Begin with a spreadsheet and a method. This solutions the questions of “what do you have got, and what do you want?”
A spreadsheet (or easy Google Doc) offers an organized listing of all your printed samples — one central location to trace your work. Not solely will this prevent time, however it is going to present you at a look what holes you might have in your technique and what it is advisable to create.
Right here’s an instance:
As a contract author, it is advisable to show that you’ve the writing talent to create the kind of content material your goal shoppers are prepared to pay for. Your writing samples present this proof.
So let’s cowl how to do that.
1. No Boundaries To Entry: Publish Posts on Your Personal Web site
For newbies, that is the best option to get began. Plus, creating posts offers a profit past proving your writing capacity to shoppers. You additionally show to your self that you’d get pleasure from writing in a selected area of interest.
If you wish to break into new kinds of writing, you may create samples to reveal your talent. For instance, if you wish to add case research to your writing companies, create a fictional case research to indicate that you just perceive the shape.
2. Cash Effectively Spent: Rent a Copyeditor
The draw back of making samples by yourself is that you just don’t get the suggestions it is advisable to enhance. Family and friends are useful, however usually far too beneficiant.
By hiring a copyeditor, you may study the place you make errors and enhance your samples.
3. Smash Down the Wall: Take a Class
If you happen to’ve been procrastinating or don’t know the place to start out, don’t be afraid to grow to be a pupil once more and take a course!
You see, a course will be a superb option to transfer ahead. And the perfect programs do greater than present info — they encourage you to implement what you’ve realized, and supply suggestions.
Taking a course prices cash, but it surely’s an funding in your self as a author.
4. Pleasant Observe: Publish Posts on Medium
By posting on Medium, you may apply your writing expertise in a pleasant atmosphere (plus, for those who join the Medium Associate Program, you may earn slightly cash on the facet). Observe publishing frequently so that you get used to your phrases being out in public.
search engine marketing tip — publish your posts by yourself web site first, watch for a minimum of two weeks, after which re-publish it on Medium. This fashion, the major search engines index your website first.
5. Byline Energy: Write Visitor Posts
Write visitor posts that let you embrace your creator bio with a hyperlink to your writing portfolio. This is a wonderful technique to get printed posts together with your byline on it, vital for social proof and credibility.
Visitor posting is often unpaid, though there are exceptions. The main focus right here is on getting your first byline, and on creating samples on your portfolio.
Select a weblog that has a excessive stage of credibility, is revered in your area of interest, or is the place your goal shoppers are possible to hang around.
If you happen to aren’t positive the place to start, strive Google:
Seek for a distinct segment or subject (within the screenshot instance above, we used “running a blog”) together with a related phrase (“write for us”).
Google will return a listing of search outcomes containing each phrases/phrases.
If you happen to discover a good goal, add it to your spreadsheet. Subsequent, strive a number of completely different variations in Google:
- “running a blog” + “visitor publish”
- “running a blog” + “contribute”
- “writing suggestions” + “write for us”
- And many others.
Change “running a blog” and “writing suggestions” with your personal area of interest/subject.
When you have got a strong listing of potential blogs to pitch, have a look at their fashionable posts, and the subjects they cowl. You could know what sort of content material they need, so do your analysis.
Learn their visitor posting pointers and observe them when making ready your pitch.
As soon as one in every of your pitches is accepted, have fun! Then be ready to do your greatest work. In spite of everything, this publish will likely be one of many constructing blocks in your writing portfolio.
Begin Constructing Your Rockstar Writing Portfolio Immediately
Your writing portfolio is your important gross sales instrument, the one which follows the adage, “Present, don’t inform.”
Think about how you’ll really feel with a robust writing portfolio backing you up as a contract author. No extra mixing into the gang — you’ll be a assured freelance author, with proof of your writing expertise.
Creating and sustaining writing portfolios alerts to each the world and your self that freelancing isn’t merely a interest — you’re a skilled who’s critical about your freelance writing enterprise.
So take one step, one tip, or one motion from this publish, and go implement it proper now. Sure, proper now. Your future self will thanks.
The publish Methods to Create a Writing Portfolio That’ll Wow Potential Shoppers appeared first on Sensible Blogger.
“Would You Like To Instantly Know All There is to Know About “ClickBank Cash Success Secrets”